Monday, July 23, 2012

What I'm Up To

I am currently working away on some of the 60+ black and white illustrations I need to create for the Subterranean Press edition of George R R Martin's "A Clash Of Kings". Not only do I have to pick interesting images from the book to draw up, but I have to make sure that they are evenly spread throughout the volume.

This is a working sketch for a pen drawing.
 Additionally I feel an internal pressure to try to show images of people and occurrences that are important to the story, although there are many vague references to less important details that suggest very interesting drawings!  In looking at great illustrated books by Golden Age illustrator I am struck by their choices of subjects to depict. Not always the most dramatic scene as we were taught to pick when doing paperback book covers. My favorite quote from N C Wyeth addresses this.  Andrew Wyeth quoting his father: 


" I never paint a subject, an illustration from a story that’s described by the author. I take something he hasn't described, but maybe hinted at, and so I enrich the book."

A sketch for an illustration of Samwell.

The Direwolf "Ghost"
Where my final drawings will end up?  Who knows?


No comments:

Post a Comment